On April 27, 1946, Allegheny Conference officials and the pioneer Pine Forge Academy administration celebrated the purchase of the campus upon which Pine Forge Academy and Allegheny East Conference of Seventh-day Adventists stands today. Elder C.D. Brooks recorded in “Founding of Pine Forge Academy” the history of this venerable landmark purchase and the immediate establishment of Pine Forge Institute. Here is an excerpt:
Now a new small conference has been organized serving seven states and the District of Columbia with Elder J.H. Wagner at the helm; a proved champion of Christian education.In the autumn of 1945, a workers’ meeting was held at Elder M. S. Banfield’s church in Newark, New Jersey, and the subject that had “top priority was that of the prospective Allegheny Academy site.” Elder F. L. Bland, who then pastored the Ebenezer SDA Church in Philadelphia, reported his members put down $1,500 in two weeks. (These were considered huge sums in those days.) The slogan for the field became: “Heed the call; A school by fall!”
The loyal constituency rallied, raised the money and the deal was closed. On Friday, December 14, 1945, the officers of the conference signed for the purchase of this property at $46,000. And thus was the first mighty accomplishment in the establishing of today’s Pine Forge Academy.
Pine Forge in the News
The Reading Eagle Newspaper often covered the early developments of Pine Forge Academy. Take a peek into the past and view this article from August 1946 describing some of the early plans for the buildings on the historic property.