PFA Receives $100,000 Grant for Science Lab!
CGI Renderings of Future PFA Science Lab
Pine Forge Academy Receives $100,000 Grant from Adventist HealthCare to Improve Science Lab
Pine Forge, Pennsylvania: Pine Forge Academy recently received funding of $100,000 from Adventist HealthCare (Gaithersburg, Maryland). This partnership between the historic boarding academy and the leading healthcare system is designed to help both entities accomplish their mission statements:
- “…to prepare students spiritually, intellectually, physically, and socially for service to God and man.” (PFA)
- “…to extend God’s care through ministry of physical, mental, and spiritual healing.” (AdventHealth)
“Our vision for PFA is to be a premier, 21st Century S.T.E.M High School, producing top health care professionals, scientists, and administrators who serve and impact their communities with excellence! To accomplish this, we want to create a pipeline between Advent Health and the Academy. We envision this being accomplished through exposure to Summer Internships, scholarships and having a state-of-the-art S.T.E.M program,” says Sokoni Scott, President of the National Pine Fore Academy Association.
“Adventist HealthCare is honored to help Pine Forge Academy rebuild this science lab and provide the needed equipment and resources so its students can continue to excel,” said Terry Forde, President & CEO of Adventist HealthCare. “We hope this lab will inspire students to pursue a fulfilling career in healthcare and we look forward to one day welcoming some of them to be part of our organization where they can help us fulfill our Mission of extending God’s care,” says Terry Forde, President and CEO of Adventist HealthCare.
The funds provided by Adventist HealthCare will be used to enhance PFA’s Science Lab by doing the following:
- Expanding the hands-on lab experience
- Introducing a Green Chemistry program
- Continuing participation in the Pennsylvania S.T.E.M Competition
- Expanding the science course offerings to include advanced placement
- Offering a comprehensive S.T.E.M./Robotics program
For the past two years, the Pine Forge Academy Science Department has introduced innovative programs that have enhanced the learning capabilities of our students by:
- Offering the FIRST Tech Challenge Robotics Program
- Hosting the Mid-Atlantic Adventist Robotics League
- Tournament for students in grades 4th-8th
- Hosting the annual Melcher Monk S.T.E.M. Fair, in honor of the former Science Department Chair
- Attending the 2017 and 2018 annual National Society of Black Engineers Convention (with generous support from TE Connectivity, an international conglomerate)
Adventist HealthCare, founded in 1907, serves patients throughout the Washington, D.C. region. Based in Gaithersburg, Maryland, it employs approximately 6,000 people, has more than 1,700 physicians and cares for close to 800,000 community members each year. It includes three acute-care hospitals: Shady Grove Medical Center, White Oak Medical Center and Fort Washington Medical Center. It also features: two rehabilitation hospitals and outpatient clinics; mental health services; physician practices, home care services and outpatient locations. It’s Mission is to extend God’s care through the ministry of physical, mental and spiritual healing.